When we are at home we should feel safest.
Unfortunately, as we age, we become more prone to injuries like falls, trips, and burns, making the chance of an injury occurring in the comfort of our home more likely.
Luckily there are some easy ways to improve safety for your loved one, and the good news is you can start today! Here are some tips on how you can improve safety around their home.
1. Tape down any loose cords to prevent trips and falls.
2. Install a grab bar in the bathroom to prevent falls.
3. Install rubber non-slip mats on tiled surfaces to help prevent slips.
4. Use a rubber ramp to fix raises in concrete or doorways.
5. Install a Kettle pourer to prevent burns.
6. Tape rugs and mats to the floor to prevent trips.
7. Install a smoke detector for fire awareness.
8. Ensure heaters are at least 3m away from furniture or anything that may catch fire.
9. Have a walking stick available for around home.
10. Clear the floor of any objects that could cause a fall.
As you can see, there are several ways you can start improving safety around your parent's house. It's better to be preventative and remove any items that pose a risk now than have to call an ambulance later down the track.
If you need assistance finding some items to help improve safety around the home, our friendly team may be able to help out. Call us on 0800 213 313 for more information.
This guide is opinion based and is not medical advice. Please consult a medical professional before purchasing any products from our store, as they are the best source of guidance.